Sing with Me

Lately, I have been reading a lot about the importance of music to the cognitive development of children.  It has been proven to help children with coordination, learning to read, and self-esteem.  I couldn't agree more.

My oldest two rocking out before the youngest "band member" was born

Music has always been a big part of the lives my my boys.  Despite the fact that I can't carry a tune to save my life {seriously!}, we are always singing, listening to music, and dancing around the kitchen.  {And in case you are wondering... my dancing is not very good either.  lol}

I don't think it matters what you listen to, but in case you are looking for musical inspiration, I thought I would share a few of our favorites here (in no particular order):

1)  Disney Music - We have a great Disney compilation CD, but the music from the Lion King is our favorite.  These songs are always catchy and fun to sing along with.

2)  Music by Kathy Reid-Naiman - You may not know the name, but her songs are great.  If you want to add a few new songs to your iPod, look her up on iTunes.  We really like:  "It's a Beautiful Day", "The Truck Song", and "Sleeping Bunnies".

3)  Raffi - I am partial to Raffi because I grew up listening to him, but my boys like him too.  The funny/silly scenarios in "Down by the Bay" always manage to bring a smile to their little faces, and "I Wonder if I am Growing" always brings a tear to my eye.  :-)

4)  Personalized CDs - We have a couple of different versions of these "put your child's name in the songs" CDs, and my boys still enjoy them.  I also think they make good baby gifts.

5)  Sesame Street - We have the "Sesame Street Platinum" CD.  It is a great CD with lots of songs that moms and dads will remember from their childhood.  Who doesn't love "Rubber Ducky" and "C is for Cookie"???

We also love: Sharon, Lois and Bram, our Kindermusik CD, The Wiggles and many more.



I hope you feel inspired to sing and dance.  Don't worry if you aren't very good... your kids won't care.  :-)

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

2 comments:

  1. I agree music is soooooo much fun. I to can't dance or carry a tune but I have fun doing it with the kids or when I'm by myself.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....