Bird Nest Cookies / The BEST Easter Cookies

Last year, I posted about "Egging" the neighbours {which you can read more about here}, and since then, I have been asked several times for the recipe we used for our Bird Nest Cookies. We make these cookies each year, and they are easy to make and fun to share.



To make these adorable Easter cookies:

1)  Mix together the following dry ingredients, and set aside:
  • 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/4 tsp salt
2)  Put the following ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil:
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3)  Remove from heat, and stir in dry ingredients.

4)  Before the mixture starts to dry out, drop the mixture from heaping teaspoons onto wax paper, and add three candy covered chocolate eggs to the middle of each cookie.  Allow to cool completely.





These cookies are easy, delicious, and cute -- perfect for this time of year. And, for an extra special treat, you can use these cookies to garnish cupcakes.  So yummy!




Check out this quick video tutorial:


And here's a little video of my boys and I making them.


These cookies taste as good as they look... and they look really cute!


Do you have a favorite Easter Cookie recipe?  This one is definitely at the top of my list.


♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)


***Find more Easter ideas here.

10 comments:

  1. I know it's a bit past Easter now but I just had to say that these cookie nests turned out BEAUTIFULLY last month when I made them. My eldest has been wanting to make little nests with eggs at Easter for the past several years and this year we finally got around to making them. We chose this recipe and were not disappointed. Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for such a lovely comment. I am glad they turned out for you.

      I think they are great for Easter... but they work for "spring" too. They are so yummy... you can make them any time. :-)

      Delete
  2. These are brilliant, we love making these as soon as mini eggs are in the shops in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/2 milk??? Is this a 1/2 CUP of milk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many approx would you say this reciepe makes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on how big you make them... but I would say approx. 3 dozen.

      Delete
  5. This is such a cute idea! I would love to use it in an Easter Treat Roundup Post on my blog, makinglifeblissful.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever toasted the coconut?

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....