DIY Snowman Mugs

I have seen a bunch of "Sharpie" mugs on Pinterest, so I thought it would be fun to make my own version for my boys.  Won't these snowman mugs be adorable filled with hot chocolate and marshmallows?


All you need to make one of these adorable mugs is a white mug {I got mine at the dollar store}, some oil-based Sharpies, and a little imagination.

Want to make one?  It is sooooo easy!

First, wash the mug well and let dry completely.  Then, decorate the mug with Sharpies.

When you are finished, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, and allow to cool in the oven.  Easy Peasy!


We made snowmen, but you could draw or write anything.  They would make great personalized gifts too.  What are you going to create with your dollar store mug?

♥ 
Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

PS (I have had a couple of people report that their marker came off when they washed their mugs.  I can only guess that it has something to do with type of Sharpie or the type of mug they used.  I came across a bunch of tips here that might help.  Good luck!)

I also had a reader (below) share the following: I washed my cup in hot soapy water and let dry. I then wiped my entire cup where I was crafting (mostly outside) with vinegar and let it air dry. I then did my patterns with the sharpies. I put my cups and plates in a cold oven, set at 350 degrees. When the temperature reached 350, I then timed it for 45 minutes, shut the oven off and left them there until the temperature of the oven was again cold. This procedure worked well.

7 comments:

  1. SO, so, so cute! Pinning these to make for teacher's gifts next year! I've been wanting to try the Sharpie thing too...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a GREAT idea, love it, shame is I did try it and the Sharpies wiped off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird! I wonder if the type of mug affects it. Mine worked fine.

      Oh well... I guess you can make a different design now? :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying, I was making them for a craft fair and put 10 mugs into the oven, with the Sharpies and every single one came off, OR 90% of the pen did, I was so disappointed as I had read so many reports it could be done.

      I am now using Marabu Porcelain painter which has worked wonderfully.

      I LOVE LOVE your mug and wish I had seen it before I did mine, as it would have been an easier one to “copy” and paint as I cannot draw and I think I could have pulled this one off, such a happy face.

      Thanks again

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the great tip link, I'll try it again, I did have cheap mugs though, (have to for a craft fair) LOl. I have had a special offer on the Sharpies, so have wonderful colours to use,

      PS I am making magnet wooden peg holders too and Sharpies are fantastic on those..

      Delete
    4. I washed my cup in hot soapy water and let dry. I then wiped my entire cup where I was crafting (mostly outside) with vinegar and let it air dry. I then did my patterns with the sharpies. I put my cups and plates in a cold oven, set at 350 degrees. When the temperature reached 350, I then timed it for 45 minutes, shut the oven off and left them there until the temperature of the oven was again cold. This procedure worked well.

      Delete
    5. Thanks so much for the extra tips. I just added them to the post above. :-)

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....